The dose varies according to whether replacement of physiological deficiencies is being carried out (replacement therapy) or whether pharmacotherapy is being used.
• Ethinylestradiol (t1/, 13 h) is a synthetic agent of first choice for pharmacological (mainly contraceptive) uses; it is effective by mouth.
• Estradiol and estriol are orally active mixed natural oestrogens.
• Conjugated estrogens (Premarin) are orally active mixed natural oestrogens containing 50-65% oestrone obtained from the urine of pregnant mares.5
• Estropipate (piperazine oestrone sulphate) is an orally active synthetic conjugate.
• Stilboestrol (diethylstilbestrol) is the first synthetic oestrogen: its use is confined to androgen dependent cancers (breast, prostate).
Was this article helpful?
Your heart pumps blood throughout your body using a network of tubing called arteries and capillaries which return the blood back to your heart via your veins. Blood pressure is the force of the blood pushing against the walls of your arteries as your heart beats.Learn more...